We returned to Flüh, and walked up to Mariastein, where we spent some time looking around the abbey with its shrine.
The monastery originates in 1648, but was extensively renovated in the year 2000.
Of particular interest are the votive panels in the long corridor leading to the Chapel of Grace, originally a rocky cave,
which is reached by a staircase with 59 steps carved into the rock. The chapel is first documented in 1434;
a boy fell into the valley at this point, and was miraculously unharmed.
After taking time to admire Mariastein, we set off through the woods, pausing to look at the church of St. Remigius in Metzerlen,
and a small mountain chapel, before arriving at Kleinlützel.