A pleasant spring stroll over the border to Canton Vaud on a sunny Sunday in February.
We drrove to Romont and parked at the train station, walked over the Fribourg-Vaud border
to the medieval town of Moudon and took the bus back to Romont.
Unfortunateky a lot of the walk was on tarmac or concrete, and there weren't many seats!
Moudon is a medieval village in the pretty and fertile Broye Valley in Canton Vaud,
and was ruled over by the Counts of Savoy in the 14th century.
The impressive 12th century Broye tower is all that remains of the fortified walls.
In Gallo-Roman times it was on the road from Aventicum (Avenches) through the Broye Valley
and on via Octodurum (Martigny) and over the Grand Saint-Bernard pass to Rome.
The church of Saint-Etienne stands at the south-eastern corner of the lower town.
The oldest parts of this neo-Gothic church date back to the 13th century,
and there is a richly carved choir from circa 1500. on wheels!
Buildings of significance in the lower town include the arsenal (1774-75) that was formerly in use as a corn exchange
and the former Hôpital de Malte built in 1556. The Hôtel de Ville (town hall) with its arcades was built between 1835 and 1842.
There are several well-preserved 16th to 18th century bourgeois and patrician houses.